Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- The Truth About The Left Brain / Right Brain Relationship
Thu August 9, 2012
Republicans Criticize A Mass. Voter Registration Program
Republicans in Massachusetts are questioning a decision by state officials to send voter registration letters to a half-a-million welfare recipients. WAMC”S Paul Tuthill reports.
Republicans are trying to gain political capital from the disclosure that Massachusetts spent $276,000 to send voter registration information to welfare recipients.. State officials say it was done in order to settle a lawsuit that alleged the state had violated a federal law requiring that people be given a chance to register to vote when they access public assistance. The campaign of Republican Senator Scott Brown turned the controversy into a fund raising appeal, branding the voter registration effort an example of Beacon Hill Machine politics. Brown’s campaign also noted the daughter of his Democratic opponent, Elizabeth Warren, is on the board of the group that pushed the lawsuit. The state Republican party Thursday demanded to see any relative communication including from the Governor’s office..