Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New York News
Fri November 30, 2012
Revised 'Fracking' Regulations Released in NY
New York environmental officials have released a revised set of proposed regulations for hydraulic fracturing natural gas and will begin taking public comment on them in December.
The Department of Environmental Conservation says the voluminous technical document was initially posted Wednesday, a day before a deadline for adopting rules for the controversial drilling known as "fracking" or making changes and allowing more comment. It's been a year since the last public hearings on the original proposal.
New York has not yet approved the technology. The agency says Thursday the changes allow it to extend the review process and take into account a pending analysis by the state health department.
Fracking has divided environmental and business interests.
The DEC says it will take written comments from Dec. 12 until Jan. 11.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press