Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Tue May 15, 2012
Rhode Island Will Recognize Out-of-State Same-Sex Marriages
Rhode Island's governor has signed an executive order saying the state will recognize same-sex marriages performed out of state. WAMC’s Lucas Willard reports…
The order signed by Governor Lincoln Chafee on Monday directs state agencies to afford same-sex married couples the same rights as heterosexual ones. Chafee says some same-sex couples married outside Rhode Island have been denied rights because state law isn't clear on the subject.
The executive order is expected to have many implications. Same-sex spouses will be entitled to health and other benefits. Also, same-sex couples will be able to list both names as parents on a child's birth certificate.
Same-sex marriage isn't legal in Rhode Island. Legislation allowing civil unions went into effect last summer.
Lucas Willard, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.