Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
New England News
Fri June 1, 2012
RI Governor Taps Three for Economic Development Agency
Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee has tapped three new leaders for the state's Economic Development Corp. to replace board members who resigned following questions about state support of Curt Schilling's troubled video game company.
Chafee on Thursday nominated Marcia Blount, Pablo Rodriguez and Alison Vareika to the EDC board. The appointments are subject to Senate confirmation.
The nominees would replace Helena Foulkes, Lynn Singleton and Stephen Lane, who recently resigned.
Chafee, an independent, encouraged the resignations of board members who supported a $75 million loan guarantee given to Schilling's 38 Studios in 2010. The firm laid off its staff last week.
State officials confirmed Thursday that they're investigating complaints that 38 Studios stopped paying workers three weeks before the layoffs.
Schilling did not immediately return a message on Thursday.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.