Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Fri June 1, 2012
RI Governor Taps Three for Economic Development Agency
Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee has tapped three new leaders for the state's Economic Development Corp. to replace board members who resigned following questions about state support of Curt Schilling's troubled video game company.
Chafee on Thursday nominated Marcia Blount, Pablo Rodriguez and Alison Vareika to the EDC board. The appointments are subject to Senate confirmation.
The nominees would replace Helena Foulkes, Lynn Singleton and Stephen Lane, who recently resigned.
Chafee, an independent, encouraged the resignations of board members who supported a $75 million loan guarantee given to Schilling's 38 Studios in 2010. The firm laid off its staff last week.
State officials confirmed Thursday that they're investigating complaints that 38 Studios stopped paying workers three weeks before the layoffs.
Schilling did not immediately return a message on Thursday.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.