Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Tue August 14, 2012
Ryan Is New Target In Massachusetts Senate Race
Massachusetts Democrats are trying to tie Republican U.S. Sen. Scott Brown to Mitt Romney's hand-picked running mate, conservative Wisconsin congressman Paul Ryan. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
Democrats are banking that Ryan's budget proposals, including his plans to transform Medicare into a voucher system and re-shape the nation's tax system, could undermine support for Brown and other Massachusetts Republicans, including congressional hopeful Richard Tisei.
While Brown has endorsed Romney for president, he also voted against Ryan's budget plan twice, saying he couldn't support Ryan's Medicare proposal.
Brown's Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren argues that the choice of Ryan shows that Brown and Romney are doubling down on policies that will hurt seniors.
A spokeswoman for Brown said it's Warren who wants to gut Medicare in order to help pay for federal health care initiatives.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.