Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Capital Region News
Tue February 5, 2013
The Sage Colleges to name center after Newtown principal
TROY, N.Y. (AP) — A New York Capital District college plans to establish a new education center in honor of Sandy Hook Elementary School Principal Dawn Hochsprung, who was a doctoral candidate in the college's educational leadership program.
Hochsprung, five other educators and 20 children were killed in the Dec. 14 mass shooting at the school in Newtown, Conn.
The Sage Colleges has announced that its Esteves School of Education is creating the Dawn Hochsprung Center for the Promotion of Mental Health and School Safety.
College officials say Hochsprung will receive her doctorate posthumously with her class in May 2015.
A memorial service in honor of Hochsprung will be held Saturday on the Sage College of Albany campus. The college also has a campus in nearby Troy that's home to the Esteves School.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
New England News