Most Active Stories
- Next In NYS: Legal Marijuana?
- Family Of Norman Rockwell Angered Over Conclusions Drawn In New Rockwell Biography
- An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away, And Statins Do, Too
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Robert Levenson, University of California Berkeley - Genetics of Marital Bliss
New England News
Tue May 22, 2012
Sanders sorry to see nuke chairman go
Vermont U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders says he’s “extremely disappointed” that the chairman of the Federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission has announced his resignation. WAMC’s North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more….
Sanders reacted Monday to news of Gregory Jaczko’s departure by saying he has appreciated the chairman’s recognition that the NRC’s job is not to promote nuclear power, but to be a strong safety regulator.
Jaczko frequently clashed with other members of the commission, as he has pushed for reforms in the nuclear industry, especially following last year’s Fukushima disaster in Japan. He’s also come under fire from Republicans in Congress.
Sanders, a member of the Senate committee that oversees the NRC, says he hopes President Obama will pick a successor for Jaczko who will be as strong a regulator.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.