Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New York News
Thu June 21, 2012
Saratoga Springs Mayor Scott Johnson Wednesday proclaimed June is “Jazz Month” in Saratoga Springs --- WAMC's Dave Lucas was on hand when the Mayor issued the proclamation, and files this report.
Saratoga Performing Arts Center President Marcia White greeted the crowd gathered in Wednesday afternoon's scorching heat on the lawn of the Saratoga Springs Visitors Center...
Mayor Scott Johnson proclaimed June “Jazz Month” in recognition of the 35th anniversary of the Freihofer’s Saratoga Jazz Festival.
The long running festival has drawn over half a million people who came to the spa city to see legendary artists including Ray Charles, BB King, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea and Tito Puente.
Mayor Johnson attends the festival each year. He says “This years’ festival more than lives up to tradition."
Tyler and Nate Giroux are from Burnt Hills - jazz afficionados and performers who provided the soundtrack for Wednesday's event. Nate says the brothers were exposed to jazz at an early age by their grandfather, who encouraged their musical studies. Tyler hopes the duo could someday play a venue like Saratoga.
In Saratoga Springs, I'm Dave Lucas WAMC News