Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- The Gooey Chocolate Cookie Recipe That's Worth $5,000
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
Fri July 19, 2013
Saratoga Track Opening Amid Heat Wave Precautions
New York racing officials say they're taking steps to make sure horses, track workers and fans are safe and comfortable as the 150th Saratoga Race Course season opens with temperatures expected to be in the mid-90s.
The New York racing Association says there will be veterinarians on horse paths, paddock, winner's circle and track to check all the thoroughbreds before and during races. Hoses and ice buckets will be available along the route the horses take to the track.
There will also be extra water in the jockeys' quarters and ice will be on sale at concession stands.
Forecasters say temperatures will be in the low- to mid-90s today, with humidity combining with the heat for a high heat index.
NYRA says it will monitor conditions through the day.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.