Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New England News
Wed May 8, 2013
Sarno Administration Ready To Answer Questions About Casino Deal
The mayor of Springfield Massachusetts says he is ready to defend a casino development deal that will be debated by the city council at a special meeting on Friday
Mayor Domenic Sarno said his economic development advisors and hired casino consultants will answer any questions councilors have about the host community agreement he signed last week with MGM Resorts.
The city council must approve the agreement in order to send it to a city wide voter referendum. Springfield voters must approve the casino development before MGM can ask the state gaming commission for a license. City Council President James Ferrera said he has some concerns about the agreement which commits MGM to make annual payments to the city , reach employment goals, and pay for amenities such as improvements to city parks .