Most Active Stories
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
Capital Region News
Mon February 25, 2013
Schenectady woman charged in death of grandson, 8
SCHENECTADY, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a 43-year-old old woman has been charged with beating her 8-year-old grandson repeatedly over a prolonged period, eventually leading to his death.
Gloria Nelligan of Schenectady was arraigned in city court on a manslaughter charge Monday and ordered held without bail.
Police say Sha'hiim Nelligan was found unresponsive by family members in their Schenectady home Saturday morning. He was pronounced dead at a hospital. Gloria Nelligan was his legal guardian.
In a 2007 story in the Daily Gazette of Schenectady about women raising grandchildren, Nelligan described her history as a domestic violence victim. She said she had taken parenting classes, battered woman counseling and college courses in hopes of making a better life for Sha'hiim, who she said wsa abandoned by her drug-abusing teenage daughter.
© 2013 The Associated Press.