Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
New England News
Fri September 7, 2012
Scholars Believe They Have Second Known Photo Of Emily Dickinson
Scholars at Amherst College believe a local collector may have obtained what would be just the second known photo of reclusive poet Emily Dickinson. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
The college says a collector who wishes to remain anonymous bought the photo in 1995 in Springfield and brought it to the college in 2007. They say they've been researching it since. It was shown publicly last month.
The photo from 1859 appears to show Dickinson sitting next a friend.
The college says they have good evidence it's Dickinson, including a detailed comparison of the eyes of the woman in the photo with a known photo of Dickinson from 1847. It hasn't been definitively confirmed.
The college says if it is Dickinson, it shows the Amherst native as a mature woman with a striking presence.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.