Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Fri August 24, 2012
Schumer Says Small Office Replacing Canadian Consulate
Senator Charles Schumer says Canada has agreed to continue providing local consular services after it closes its consulate in Buffalo.
Schumer had protested the closing and the loss of services that businesses in western New York rely on for cross-border commerce.
He says Friday the Canadian government won't reverse the decision, but will maintain a smaller office to work with businesses and others on border issues.
The size of the liaison office and hours of operation are still being worked out.
The Canadian government said in the spring that it's closing five consulates because of budget cuts. The others are in Anchorage, Alaska, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Raleigh, N.C.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.