Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Fri November 15, 2013
Schumer Warns Of Flood Insurance Cost Hikes
U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer warns big increases in the national flood insurance premiums are expected.
Schumer says he's supporting a measure to delay the spike until the Federal Emergency Management Agency completes its national study which includes considering affordability.
Schumer told reporters Thursday he hopes to freeze premiums for the time the study is being done for Congress. That could take years.
He said he fears that a jump in premiums will force people to drop coverage. That could be devastating for homeowners hit by flooding and costly for the federal government which provides disaster aid.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.