Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
Mon August 20, 2012
Scott Brown Calls On Missouri GOP Senate Candidate To Quit Race
Massachusetts Republican Senator Scott Brown is calling on Todd Akin to abandon his run for Senate in Missouri following controversial comments about rape. WAMC's Paul Tuthill reports...
While most Republicans, including Mitt Romney have distanced themselves from Akin because of the furor, Brown has taken the usual step of calling on a member of his own party to step aside. Brown, who is locked a tight race with Democrat Elizabeth Warren, issued a statement calling Akin’s comments “ outrageous, inappropriate and wrong” Warren also condemned Akin’s statement, and claimed it was in line with anti-woman policies endorsed by Republicans. Akin has apologized for saying women’s bodies can prevent pregnancies in cases of what he called a “ legitimate rape” .