Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Mon August 20, 2012
Scott Brown Calls On Missouri GOP Senate Candidate To Quit Race
Massachusetts Republican Senator Scott Brown is calling on Todd Akin to abandon his run for Senate in Missouri following controversial comments about rape. WAMC's Paul Tuthill reports...
While most Republicans, including Mitt Romney have distanced themselves from Akin because of the furor, Brown has taken the usual step of calling on a member of his own party to step aside. Brown, who is locked a tight race with Democrat Elizabeth Warren, issued a statement calling Akin’s comments “ outrageous, inappropriate and wrong” Warren also condemned Akin’s statement, and claimed it was in line with anti-woman policies endorsed by Republicans. Akin has apologized for saying women’s bodies can prevent pregnancies in cases of what he called a “ legitimate rape” .