Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Mon August 20, 2012
Scott Brown Calls On Missouri GOP Senate Candidate To Quit Race
Massachusetts Republican Senator Scott Brown is calling on Todd Akin to abandon his run for Senate in Missouri following controversial comments about rape. WAMC's Paul Tuthill reports...
While most Republicans, including Mitt Romney have distanced themselves from Akin because of the furor, Brown has taken the usual step of calling on a member of his own party to step aside. Brown, who is locked a tight race with Democrat Elizabeth Warren, issued a statement calling Akin’s comments “ outrageous, inappropriate and wrong” Warren also condemned Akin’s statement, and claimed it was in line with anti-woman policies endorsed by Republicans. Akin has apologized for saying women’s bodies can prevent pregnancies in cases of what he called a “ legitimate rape” .