Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Mon August 20, 2012
Senator Discusses Cross Border Business Issues
New York’s junior Senator was in the North Country Friday to discuss cross border economic issues.
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand was in Plattsburgh for a roundtable discussion on Canada-New York border business issues. She was joined by Congressman Bill Owens, officials of the Plattsburgh-North Country Chamber of Commerce and members of the regional business community. Senator Gillibrand noted that the economy of the region centers on the constant flux of commerce at the border.
Conversation included ways to make cross border trade more fluid.
Following the forum, Gillibrand called the meeting extremely productive.
Last December, the U.S. and Canada released the Beyond the Border Agreement, an initiative to enhance security along the northern border. Both Congressman Bill Owens and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand say it will also help cross border trade.
Senator Gillibrand was in Saranac Lake Friday morning and traveled to Potsdam following the forum in Plattsburgh. Canada is the U.S. and New York State's largest trading partner.