Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New York News
Mon May 14, 2012
Senator Gillibrand Touts Veteran Education, Jobs
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand is making the rounds of upstate New York college campuses to promote legislation to help veterans get education and training needed for civilian jobs.
Her schedule Monday includes stops at Syracuse University, Nazareth College in Rochester, and D'Youville College in Buffalo.
Gillibrand held roundtable meetings last year with business and veterans leaders around the state to discuss ways to address veterans' unemployment problems. Now, she's working on legislation to make training more accessible, protect veterans' access to education, and streamline certification processes for civilian jobs.
Last year, Gillibrand was involved in the passage of the VOW to Hire Heroes Act, which gave employers incentives to hire military veterans.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.