Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New York News
Mon May 14, 2012
Senator Gillibrand Touts Veteran Education, Jobs
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand is making the rounds of upstate New York college campuses to promote legislation to help veterans get education and training needed for civilian jobs.
Her schedule Monday includes stops at Syracuse University, Nazareth College in Rochester, and D'Youville College in Buffalo.
Gillibrand held roundtable meetings last year with business and veterans leaders around the state to discuss ways to address veterans' unemployment problems. Now, she's working on legislation to make training more accessible, protect veterans' access to education, and streamline certification processes for civilian jobs.
Last year, Gillibrand was involved in the passage of the VOW to Hire Heroes Act, which gave employers incentives to hire military veterans.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.