Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New York News
Mon May 14, 2012
Senator Gillibrand Touts Veteran Education, Jobs
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand is making the rounds of upstate New York college campuses to promote legislation to help veterans get education and training needed for civilian jobs.
Her schedule Monday includes stops at Syracuse University, Nazareth College in Rochester, and D'Youville College in Buffalo.
Gillibrand held roundtable meetings last year with business and veterans leaders around the state to discuss ways to address veterans' unemployment problems. Now, she's working on legislation to make training more accessible, protect veterans' access to education, and streamline certification processes for civilian jobs.
Last year, Gillibrand was involved in the passage of the VOW to Hire Heroes Act, which gave employers incentives to hire military veterans.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.