Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
North Country News
Wed February 13, 2013
Senators Intro Bill to Streamline Postal Service, Save Services
Vermont’s junior Senator has introduced legislation to boost the U.S. Postal Service and save Saturday delivery.
Independent Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders was joined by Democratic Oregon Senator Peter DeFazio in introducing a bill that would protect rural post offices, reinstate Saturday mail, allow the Postal Service to use innovative methods to make money - including issuing hunting and fishing licenses, and allowing shipments of wine and beer.
A key element of the proposal is repeal of a 2006 law that forces the post office pre-fund 75 years of future health care benefits for retirees.
Co-sponsors include Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy and NY Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.