Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
Sat March 16, 2013
Several regional teams go for NCAA tourney bids today
With March Madness set to begin this week, several colleges in the region have their sights on the NCAA tournament.
The University at Albany men’s basketball team has a brunchtime date with Vermont with an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament on the line.
The fourth-seeded Great Danes are in Burlington for Saturday’s 11:30 game against the second-seeded Catamounts.
According to head coach Will Brown, UAlbany is looking for a repeat of its 2007 trip to Vermont, when it won a thriller to win a second America East title.
"We have to be even-keeled, relax, and not let the atmosphere get to us," Brown said. "Easier said than done. "
On the women’s side, top-seeded UAlbany hopes to complete an undefeated conference schedule when it faces second-seeded Hartford at home tonight at 7. The Great Danes are hoping for their second straight trip to the NCAAs, but have a challenge on their hands: Hartford took UAlbany to overtime before eventually falling earlier this year.