Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New York News
Wed September 11, 2013
Shahinfar Tops Domalewicz In Treasurer Primary
Attorney Darius Shahinfar won the Democratic primary for city treasurer of Albany, New York Tuesday, cruising to what appeared to be a 26-point victory over Democratic rival Gary Domalewicz.
Shahinfar, a close ally of Democratic mayoral primary winner Kathy Sheehan, led the vote late Tuesday 61 to 35 percent. Shahinfar faces no opponent in November's general election.
He says his relationship with Sheehan paves the way for vital cooperation on the city budget. Because of overwhelming party enrollment in Albany, Sheehan is the clear mayoral front-runner.
The treasurer's duties include overseeing Albany's weekly payroll as well as controlling its borrowing for major purchases and construction projects.
The treasurer also serves as a board member of the Albany Industrial Development Agency.