Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- The Gooey Chocolate Cookie Recipe That's Worth $5,000
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
Mon August 6, 2012
Shakespeare and Company - "Pearl"
On Monday evening August 13th, Maureen O'Flynn and John Cheek - leading singers from the Metropolitan Opera - will be among the performers in the first performance of a new opera "Pearl" which is a modern retelling of The Scarlet Letter from the viewpoint of the daughter of Hester Prynne.
The project was initiated by the conductor Sara Jobin, a Berkshire resident and the first woman to conduct the San Francisco Opera, the composer is Amy Scurria and the libretto, written by Carol Gilligan and her son Jonathan Gilligan, based on her play, "The Scarlet Letter", which was commissioned and produced by Shakespeare & Company in 2002.
We welcome Carol Gilligan, Sara Jobin and Maureen Flynn to The Roundtable.
The performance is Monday, August 13th on the Tina Packer Stage at Shakespeare and Company.