Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Thu July 18, 2013
Shumlin Urges IBM To Go Public With Layoff Numbers
Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin is urging IBM to make public the number of employees it laid off last month at its Vermont facilities.
And the governor says if he and his lawyer conclude the Vermont Public Records Act requires it, his administration will release the number whether IBM wants to or not.
IBM doesn't make layoff numbers public. It reported them to the state, but is telling Vermont officials the number is commercially sensitive and exempt from disclosure under the law.
Labor Commissioner Annie Noonan is asking IBM to explain its position on the law by noon today.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.