Most Active Stories
New York News
Thu May 3, 2012
Smoke Inhalation Killed NY Police Captain, Family
A county coroner in New York says a police captain, his wife and two daughters who died in a house fire this week were killed by smoke inhalation. WAMC’s Dave Lucas reports.
Putnam County Coroner William Stahl said Wednesday that the Larchmont police captain, Thomas Sullivan, and the others all died of asphyxiation from breathing smoke and carbon monoxide.
Stahl says that probably means the family died before being burned in the fire at their home early Tuesday in Carmel.
Carmel police said Wednesday that they've found the origin of the fire, but not the cause. The department says the blaze began on the front side of the house.
Police say the investigation may take weeks.
Dave Lucas, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.