Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
North Country News
Mon December 31, 2012
Snow Boosts Northern New England Snowmobilers
Many of northern New England's rural communities depend on snowmobilers to keep stores, restaurants, motels and gas stations going strong, and they've seen a sudden increase in traffic thanks to recent snowfalls.
Many areas of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont saw little snow last year and a snowmobiling season that never really got off the ground. In Island Pond, which bills itself as Vermont's snowmobiling capital, the season was shortened to seven weeks from the usual 14.
The heads of snowmobiling groups in New Hampshire and Maine say this past weekend saw brisk activity.
At the Lakefront Express Mart in Island Pond, Vt., owner Bob Dexter says he's hopeful about a winter of good snow, good snowmobiling and strong business.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.