Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
North Country News
Mon December 31, 2012
Snow Boosts Northern New England Snowmobilers
Many of northern New England's rural communities depend on snowmobilers to keep stores, restaurants, motels and gas stations going strong, and they've seen a sudden increase in traffic thanks to recent snowfalls.
Many areas of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont saw little snow last year and a snowmobiling season that never really got off the ground. In Island Pond, which bills itself as Vermont's snowmobiling capital, the season was shortened to seven weeks from the usual 14.
The heads of snowmobiling groups in New Hampshire and Maine say this past weekend saw brisk activity.
At the Lakefront Express Mart in Island Pond, Vt., owner Bob Dexter says he's hopeful about a winter of good snow, good snowmobiling and strong business.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.