Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
Hudson Valley News
Fri August 10, 2012
Soldier From West Point Killed in Afghanistan
One of two soldiers killed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan on August 8 was a West Point resident.
The Defense Department identified the men as Maj. Thomas Kennedy, 35, of West Point and Command Sgt. Maj. Kevin Griffin, 45, of Laramie, WY.
Officials said the men died in Sarkowi in Kunar province of wounds suffered when they encountered an insurgent who detonated a suicide vest.
The soldiers were assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, CO.
Kennedy was a member of the West Point graduating class of 2000.
He leaves behind two small children, not quite two years old.
This Saturday there will be an informal celebration of life at West Point. The wake will be held next Thursday, August 16 at West Point and the funeral, with full honors will be held on Friday, August 17 at the West Point Chapel.