Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Shakespeare & Company's Founding Artistic Dir. Speaks About Recent Leadership Resignations
New England News
Thu April 12, 2012
Speaker DeLeo Talks Budget with Berkshire Residents
The breakfast held at the Waconah Country Club in Dalton, and hosted by the Berkshire Chamber of Commerce, brought together business owners, community leaders, and students from Waconah high school to meet and ask questions with legislators and Speaker of the House, Robert DeLeo. Berkshire Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Mike Supranowicz remarked on the presence of the Speaker at the “Eggs and Issues” event…
2nd Berkshire District Representative Paul Mark brought DeLeo with him to the event, and said that the Speaker will be touring the area, including a stop to observe an area damaged by tropical storm Irene in Shelburne.
DeLeo spoke about the new budget proposal, which includes more Chapter 90 aid to the cities and towns than in the previous year, improvement of benefits for seniors, and education. The House budget rejects Gov. Deval Patrick’s plan to centralize community colleges in Massachusetts. Speaker DeLeo…
Ellen Kennedy, Interim President of Berkshire Community College attended the event and commended the efforts of the Massachusetts House…
Among other issues brought up were transportation. 3rd Berkshire District Representative Tricia Farley-Bouvier of Pittsfield commented on the struggles of the state government to resolve financial issues surrounding the T-Line of the MBTA in Boston…
This was the second visit Robert DeLeo has made to the Berkshires since he became Speaker of the House in 2009.