Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Wed September 12, 2012
Special Vote Set on Vermont Town School Closure
Voters in a Vermont community will face ballot questions on whether a public elementary school should be closed and re-opened as an independent school.
Residents will decide the fate of the North Bennington Graded School on Oct. 23.
The Bennington Banner reports if both articles pass during the special vote, the last step will be for the state Board of Education to approve an application from the proposed independent Village School of North Bennington.
The state board has agreed to take up the application in November.
School officials have said projected declining numbers at the elementary school would make it difficult to avoid state penalties for higher-than-average per-pupil spending.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.