Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Wed September 12, 2012
Special Vote Set on Vermont Town School Closure
Voters in a Vermont community will face ballot questions on whether a public elementary school should be closed and re-opened as an independent school.
Residents will decide the fate of the North Bennington Graded School on Oct. 23.
The Bennington Banner reports if both articles pass during the special vote, the last step will be for the state Board of Education to approve an application from the proposed independent Village School of North Bennington.
The state board has agreed to take up the application in November.
School officials have said projected declining numbers at the elementary school would make it difficult to avoid state penalties for higher-than-average per-pupil spending.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.