Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Mon July 15, 2013
Springfield City Council To Vote On Cultural District
The city council in Springfield, Massachusetts is expected to vote Monday to seek state recognition for a downtown cultural district.
The proposed cultural district would encompass a several block area that is home to museums, performance venues, art galleries, a college, and the Springfield Armory National Park. Springfield Museums President Holly Smith-Bove said an official designation by the Massachusetts Cultural Council would be a boon for the city.
There are currently 16 state designated cultural districts in Massachusetts including ones in Pittsfield and Easthampton.