Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Fri February 22, 2013
Springfield City Library To Mark Centennial
One of the largest resource libraries in western Massachusetts is marking its first century with an appeal for public help.
The Springfield City Library is holding an anniversary gala the evening of April 20th in the rotunda of the central library. Proceeds will go to the non profit, Friends of the City Library. The organization’s president Mary Ann Maloney says the group has raised $300,000 in recent years to augment shrinking library budgets
City budget cuts have reduced the library’s hours of operation and even forced a temporary closure of some neighborhood branch libraries last summer. More than 225 thousand items were checked out of the Springfield central library last year.