Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
New England News
Tue July 17, 2012
Springfield Hires Chicago Firm As Gaming Consultant
Officials in Springfield Massachusetts have signaled they’re ready to hear proposals from casino developers. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
A Chicago based law firm has been hired to serve as the gaming consultant to Springfield. The firm of Shefsky and Froelich will help the city navigate the complex process of siting and building what would be the largest single construction project in Springfield’s history. Mayor Domenic Sarno, on Tuesday praised the firm’s vast experience in the gaming field , and again signaled he’s anxious for Springfield to be home to a $500 million resort casino.
A Nevada based gaming company, Ameristar, has bought a former industrial park in Springfield to build a casino. Other developers are reportedly looking at potential locations in the city’s downtown. The state’s gaming law allows for one casino license in western Massachusetts.