Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
WAMC New York News
Tue December 20, 2005
Springfield hopes for compromise
By Jessica Bloustein
Springfield, MA – The cash-strapped city of Springfield, Massachusetts is taking another hit. State lawmakers sent a clear message to the city yesterday that it will not provide any more financial assistance. Meanwhile, the superior court ruling that the city illegally froze teacher wages in 2003 still looms. Mayor Charles Ryan calls the situation, vexing.
WAMC's Pioneer Valley Bureau Chief Jessica Bloustein reports.