Most Active Stories
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
New England News
Mon August 27, 2012
Springfield Mayor Announces Casino Selection Process
The mayor of Springfield Massachusetts has announced a selection process for casino companies interested in building in the city. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
The process, is expected to winnow the field of the multiple casino companies who have shown interest in Springfield. But Mayor Domenic Sarno, in a reversal of earlier statements , said Monday that he might negotiate a host community agreement with more than one operator.
Under the selection process outlined by city officials, a voter referendum would take place in roughly 8 months. City officials will first review the finances and experiences of the casino operators, and then spend at least two months reviewing site specific proposals, and what is being offered the city Projects that receive local approval can compete for a state casino license. The state gaming commission is authorized to issue just one casino license in the four western counties.