Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
New England News
Fri May 11, 2012
Springfield Officials Seek Consultant to Negotiate with Casino Developers
Officials in Springfield Massachusetts have announced plans to hire a professional consultant to help negotiate with would-be casino developers. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports…
The mayor’s office announced Thursday that it will seek bids from firms experienced in representing municipalities with gaming industry projects. Bids will be accepted for a month.
It’s another sign Springfield officials are anxious to see a resort casino built in the city to bring jobs and revenue. The Springfield City Council recently named a casino siting advisory committee.
The Nevada-based gaming company Ameristar has purchased a former industrial site in Springfield and plans to compete for the one casino license that can be issued in western Massachusetts.
Mohegan Sun is pursing plans for a casino development in Palmer and other gaming companies have been looking at possible locations for casinos in Westfield and Chicopee.
Paul Tuthill, WAMC News.