Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New England News
Thu March 21, 2013
Springfield To Sell City-owned Vacant Lots To Abutters
The city of Springfield Massachusetts has launched a new program to sell vacant lots to an abutting property owner.
Under the program abutters can apply to purchase a city owned lot that is valued at less than $25,000. The city puts conditions on what can be done with the lot after its sold. Such things as a garden, off street parking, a landscaped side yard, and housing additions are allowed. Mayor Domenic Sarno said the program is another tool to reduce blight in the city’s neighborhoods
The program is modeled after others around the country, including ones in Boston and Lowell in Massachusett.