Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Wed July 25, 2012
Springfield Unemployment Rate Rises
Figures released in Massachusetts Tuesday show the city of Springfield had the 5th highest unemployment rate last month of any city or town in the state. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The seasonally unadjusted unemployment rate in Springfield was 10. 3 percent in June, up from 9.4 percent in May , according to a report from the Massachusetts Office of Labor and Workforce Development. Kevin Lynn, of the Future Works Career Center in Springfield said there was a 30 percent drop in job postings in June, compared with a year ago. Also, the number of people reporting they’d found a job last month fell by 38 percent.
Tuesday’s state report on local labor markets said unemployment rates fell in four areas, rose in 17 and held steady in just one…Pittsfield.