Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Wed July 25, 2012
Springfield Unemployment Rate Rises
Figures released in Massachusetts Tuesday show the city of Springfield had the 5th highest unemployment rate last month of any city or town in the state. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The seasonally unadjusted unemployment rate in Springfield was 10. 3 percent in June, up from 9.4 percent in May , according to a report from the Massachusetts Office of Labor and Workforce Development. Kevin Lynn, of the Future Works Career Center in Springfield said there was a 30 percent drop in job postings in June, compared with a year ago. Also, the number of people reporting they’d found a job last month fell by 38 percent.
Tuesday’s state report on local labor markets said unemployment rates fell in four areas, rose in 17 and held steady in just one…Pittsfield.