Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
New England News
Wed July 25, 2012
Springfield Unemployment Rate Rises
Figures released in Massachusetts Tuesday show the city of Springfield had the 5th highest unemployment rate last month of any city or town in the state. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The seasonally unadjusted unemployment rate in Springfield was 10. 3 percent in June, up from 9.4 percent in May , according to a report from the Massachusetts Office of Labor and Workforce Development. Kevin Lynn, of the Future Works Career Center in Springfield said there was a 30 percent drop in job postings in June, compared with a year ago. Also, the number of people reporting they’d found a job last month fell by 38 percent.
Tuesday’s state report on local labor markets said unemployment rates fell in four areas, rose in 17 and held steady in just one…Pittsfield.