Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Tue July 16, 2013
Springfield Voters Endorse MGM Casino Project
Voters in Springfield, Massachusetts Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a proposal by MGM Resorts to build an $800 million casino in the city’s downtown.
MGM officials hailed the vote as a landslide. Unofficial results from the city election department had 57 percent of the vote in favor to 42 percent opposed. Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno, a strong supporter of the MGM casino said the vote sends a resounding message that the best place for a casino in western Massachusetts is in Springfield.
MGM can now apply for a casino license from the Massachusetts Gaming Commission. Competition for the sole license available in western Massachusetts is expected from casino projects in West Springfield and Palmer.