Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Tue July 16, 2013
Springfield Voters Endorse MGM Casino Project
Voters in Springfield, Massachusetts Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a proposal by MGM Resorts to build an $800 million casino in the city’s downtown.
MGM officials hailed the vote as a landslide. Unofficial results from the city election department had 57 percent of the vote in favor to 42 percent opposed. Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno, a strong supporter of the MGM casino said the vote sends a resounding message that the best place for a casino in western Massachusetts is in Springfield.
MGM can now apply for a casino license from the Massachusetts Gaming Commission. Competition for the sole license available in western Massachusetts is expected from casino projects in West Springfield and Palmer.