Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- WAMC Spring Series: A Look At Maple Season
- Jill Stein Weighs A Run For President...
WAMC New England News
Fri July 14, 2006
State Dairy Subsidy Checks Will Soon Be Ready
By Pat Bradley
Montpelier, VT – It's been a particularly bad year for farmers in Vermont, who have seen low prices for their milk, high fuel costs and heavy rains that ruined crops. At the same time, the federal milk subsidy program has been paying farmers less than the cost of production. Last month the state of Vermont announced a program that would provide dairy farmers up to eight-point-six million dollars in cash assistance. Farmers will start seeing checks from that program before the end of the month. WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more.