Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Mon January 28, 2013
Storm bringing snow, ice and sleet to upstate NY
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Dozens of fender-bender accidents have been reported across the state as snow changed to sleet and freezing rain.
The state Department of Transportation issued a travel advisory Monday urging drivers to take extra time and drive slower on icy roads. The agency said it had more than 400 trucks plowing and salting highways statewide.
In Sullivan County, local government buildings closed early as snow changed to freezing rain Monday afternoon.
In the Ulster County town of Accord, a car slid into a stopped school bus around 11 a.m. No injuries were reported.
In Western New York, a state trooper's vehicle was struck Monday morning by a car that skidded on ice on Interstate 190 in Niagara Falls. The trooper was treated for minor injuries and the other driver was ticketed for unsafe speed.
- © 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.