Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
New York News
Tue September 11, 2012
SUNY Plattsburgh Remembers 9-11 and Alumna Killed in Twin Tower Collapse
Students, faculty, and staff of the SUNY college here gathered at Hawkins Pond this afternoon, where a memorial to two alumna is placed. On September 11th, Robert Sutcliffe, class of 1984, and William Erwin, class of 1992, died in the collapse of the Twin Towers.
In front of the memorial, History Professor Doug Skopp remembers his late students.
Many of the students attending the college now were in elementary school when the Twin Towers were destroyed, including Student Association President Charles Sanchez.
Jonathan Carman from Barton, NY was a 12 year old home-schooled child who struggled to understand what was happening.
The campus chapter of the ROTC served as color guard. Earlier this morning, the cadets climbed the stairs in the tallest building on campus. Cadet Tim Farrow joined the Army following high school, served in Afghanistan, and is now a veteran and a student member of the ROTC.
The ROTC cadets raised money for the Wounded Warrior Project as part of the memorial climb.