Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- The Truth About The Left Brain / Right Brain Relationship
New England News
Fri September 21, 2012
Survey Looks At Reasons For Underage Drinking
A new survey of 8th graders in Springfield Massachusetts looked at reasons for underage drinking. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
25 percent of Springfield high school students had their first drink before age 13. Peggy Vezina, a consultant working for a coalition formed to combat underage drinking, said children reported alcohol is an almost constant presence in their lives
Vezina said the survey found a high social acceptance of drinking. Of the 8th graders who have had a drink, more than half said they got alcohol from a relative. Children were also looking to participate in more meaningful activities at school.