Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Thu May 3, 2012
Survey: Many Western MA Tornado Survivors Still in Need
A survey of tornado survivors finds many with unmet needs as the one year anniversary of the natural disaster in western Massachusetts approaches. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports…
Eight days of canvassing by disaster response volunteers in tornado impacted neighborhoods of Springfield found dozens of people who still need help ranging from major roof repairs to replacing household appliances and furnishings.
Steven Abdow, a board member of Springfield Community Together, the FEMA organized long term recovery group, said the unmet needs are estimated to cost $1 million…
“I think a lot of folks maybe settled quickly or the insurance process didn’t work for them because, beyond what they’ve already received, they have significant, additional expenses.”
Abdow expects more people to come forward seeking help as the one year anniversary draws closer.
Paul Tuthill, WAMC News.