Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Tue October 3, 2006
Susan Arbetter's interview with Stephanie Coontz, author of Marriage: A History 10/3/06
Albany, NY – Is there really such a thing as "traditional" marriage? Well, it depends on how long you think something "traditional" should be called traditional.
Author Stephanie Coontz argues that the cherished nuclear family is a relatively new experiment in her groundbreaking book, "Marriage, A History."
In it, she takes us on a journey from the marital intrigues of ancient Babylon to the torments of Victorian lovers, to the debates over gay marriage today.
Susan Arbetter asked Stephanie Coontz how she started researching this topic.