Most Active Stories
- MA And CT Declare State Of Emergency, Issues Travel Bans As Winter Blast Nears
- New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Arrested On Corruption Charges
- NYS Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Charged in Corruption Scheme
- Wrinkles In Schenectady Casino Planning
- International Paper Employee Dies From Injuries
WAMC New York News
Wed February 22, 2006
Sweeney wants oversight on Dubai deal
By Jessica Bloustein
Albany, NY – New York Congressman John Sweeney is opposing a $6.8 billion deal the White House is backing to put a United Arab Emirates-based firm in charge of the operation of six major U-S ports. Capitol Hill lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are launching an investigation into the deal in the interests of preserving homeland security. Meanwhile, Albany Mayor Jerry Jennings is addressing security concerns at his own capital city's bustling port.
WAMC's Capital District Bureau Chief Jessica Bloustein reports.