Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
- Northeast Energy Direct Pipeline Route Moves North
Tue March 25, 2014
"The Thing With Feathers" By Noah Strycker
Birds are highly intelligent animals, yet their intelligence is dramatically different from our own and has been little understood. As scientists come to understand more about the secrets of bird life, they are unlocking fascinating insights into memory, game theory, and the nature of intelligence itself.
The Thing with Feathers explores the astonishing homing abilities of pigeons, the good deeds of fairy-wrens, the influential flocking abilities of starlings, the deft artistry of bowerbirds, the extraordinary memories of nutcrackers, the lifelong loves of albatross, and other mysteries—revealing why birds do what they do, and offering a glimpse into our own nature.
Noah Strycker is a birder and naturalist who has traveled the world in pursuit of his subjects. Drawing deep from personal experience, cutting-edge science, and colorful history, he spins captivating stories about the birds in our midst and reveals the intimate coexistence of birds and humans.