Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Thu October 11, 2012
Three Casino Companies Apply To Build In Springfield
Three casino operators put in bids by a Thursday night deadline to build a resort casino in Springfield Massachusetts. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
Ameristar, MGM Resorts and Penn National Gaming each filed paperwork and a $50,000 application fee to enter the Springfield casino sweepstakes. The three will compete for what Mayor Domenic Sarno has called the largest economic development project in the city’s history.
The firms that pass a preliminary review by November First will be asked to submit comprehensive plans for the mayor and his advisories to review. Also in the coming months, the companies will have to submit to background checks by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission to determine if they qualify for a state license.