Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
New England News
Thu October 11, 2012
Three Casino Companies Apply To Build In Springfield
Three casino operators put in bids by a Thursday night deadline to build a resort casino in Springfield Massachusetts. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
Ameristar, MGM Resorts and Penn National Gaming each filed paperwork and a $50,000 application fee to enter the Springfield casino sweepstakes. The three will compete for what Mayor Domenic Sarno has called the largest economic development project in the city’s history.
The firms that pass a preliminary review by November First will be asked to submit comprehensive plans for the mayor and his advisories to review. Also in the coming months, the companies will have to submit to background checks by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission to determine if they qualify for a state license.