Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Thu May 2, 2013
Tornado Recovery Group Disbands
Twenty three months after a powerful tornado tore through Springfield Massachusetts a long term recovery group has disbanded.
The group called Springfield Community Together has run out of money and run out of work to do. Steven Abdow of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Massachusetts said the group helped about 600 tornado survivors with everything from major home repairs to removing debris from yards.
The long term recover group was created by volunteers from a dozen philanthropic, faith-based and other nonprofit organizations. Major funding that totaled more than $200,000 came from the Massachusetts Disaster Relief fund and Catholic Charities.