Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
WAMC New York News
Tue October 18, 2005
Tourism Officials Concerns About Proposed Border I-D Requirements
By Pat Bradley
Plattsburgh, NY – The Department of Homeland Security's proposed Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to have a passport or other accepted documents, to enter or re-enter the United States. Canadians and US citizens crossing the border currently need a drivers licence, and the proposed new rules do not bode well for northern New York's tourism industry. The Lake Placid/Essex County Visitors Bureau is the latest organization in the region to ask businesses and residents to express their concerns about the potential changes. WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more.