Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
WAMC New York News
Tue February 22, 2005
Towns Push for Payment in Lieu of Taxes
By John Krol
Washington, MA – With recent news that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is falling far behind environmental protection - the state is not able to adequately oversee the vast amount of forest land it owns across the state.
That leaves the burden of cities in towns, which have also had it's reimbursement for state-owned property cut significantly over the past few years. Now, a grass-roots effort is gathering momentum to get that money back. WAMC's Berkshire Bureau Chief John Krol has the story.