Most Active Stories
- MA And CT Declare State Of Emergency, Issues Travel Bans As Winter Blast Nears
- New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Arrested On Corruption Charges
- NYS Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Charged in Corruption Scheme
- Wrinkles In Schenectady Casino Planning
- International Paper Employee Dies From Injuries
WAMC New York News
Tue February 22, 2005
Towns Push for Payment in Lieu of Taxes
By John Krol
Washington, MA – With recent news that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is falling far behind environmental protection - the state is not able to adequately oversee the vast amount of forest land it owns across the state.
That leaves the burden of cities in towns, which have also had it's reimbursement for state-owned property cut significantly over the past few years. Now, a grass-roots effort is gathering momentum to get that money back. WAMC's Berkshire Bureau Chief John Krol has the story.