Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
WAMC New England News
Mon August 31, 2009
By Charlie Deitz
Berkshire County – Thousands of people pass through the Berkshires via the Appalachian Trail every summer, some hike for the day, some hike for months. Trail hikers have formed their own nomadic culture along the switch backs and ridges of the 2000 mile pedestrian parkway. Our Berkshire Bureau Chief Charlie Deitz worked with several youth hikers from Great Barrington, and gave them a crash course on reporting techniques. These youths went out on the Appalachian Trail and interviewed hikers from all over the country, the project has come to be called Trail Tales .