Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
Wed August 8, 2012
Trial Gets Under Way in Civil Union Custody Case
Federal prosecutors in Vermont say a Virginia pastor worked with a number of other people to help a woman flee the United States with her daughter rather than share custody of the girl with the mother's former lesbian partner.
The trial of 46-year-old Kenneth Miller of Stuarts Draft, Va., opened Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Burlington. In his opening statement, Miller's lawyer said he will prove his client believed Lisa Miller had full custody of daughter Isabella.
Lisa Miller and Janet Jenkins of Fair Haven fought a five-year custody battle. After Lisa Miller refused to share custody, a judge transferred it to Jenkins.
Prosecutors say in 2009 Kenneth Miller drove mother and daughter from Virginia to Buffalo, N.Y., where the two crossed into Canada and flew to Central America.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.